How can I rapidly improve my services and products? Lean Startup
We live in times where successful companies test 1.000 ideas per year, and then realize 20-30 of them.
Because it is critical to steadily test our assumptions about what the customer REALLY buys, when he buys our products or services. And this is a dynamic process, embedded in his changing context, lifestyle and technical possibilities.
Many talk about the innovation process LEAN STARTUP. But how ist it really applied? Today I learned from my MIT colleague Roberto Touza David how they do it.
THE SEVEN STEPS OF THE LEAN STARTUP APPROACH
- Rough research about market, trends & competitors. That cuts through all noise and brings orientation on what's happening out there.
- Deep client´s study. Design a persona, define clients problems (hypothesis) and continue with field investigation (interviews, focus group and so on). Back in office, share learnings with team. Once you have a good picture about your clients and theirs problems, design solutions that could fit their needs (individual work and then discussions in teams).
- Back into the field, continue improving knowledge about clients in order to improve possible solution. (interviews, problem-interview, solution interview)
- Once you have a clear picture of the client problems and solutions, design a first business model.
- Then, with the business model as our goal, we design prototypes with an unique objective: learn! That's a really important point cause a lot of companies fail on develop solutions by prototyping.
- Starting with low fidelity prototypes.
- After testing continue improving to high fidelity prototypes.
I am curious. How do you improve services and products for your clients?